Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Tweething

(I tried to make a play on words in my post title-tweeting to tweething...alright kinda lame...)

Normally I find it extremely easy to condense ideas into a thesis, but I'm not quite sure how I want to do it with my research paper. So I will try and spell out my process for creating a good thesis/tweethis statement.

Yes, this will be stream-of-consciousness style:

tweethis-short, informative...maybe pithy
my current thesis reads more like a paragraph so I need to shrink it down--

Shakespeare gives more lines to the men in his plays, but the women hold more power. This paper focuses mainly on Katherina in The Taming of the Shrew.  Katherina who doesn’t hold the majority of the lines, but her stage presence and her role, as scripted by Shakespeare, give her more power as Petruchio. She is intelligent and spiteful in the beginning and she transforms in the end. But as she changes Petruchio also changes. By the end of the play, who knows who actually tamed who.

So let's keep Shakespeare, but get straight to the point. What am I proving?
In plays like The Taming of the Shrew, Shakespeare gives the women more power.

Ok, good. now why do I think this is true?
Because Katherina already exercises power of Petruchio as a woman, before she learns a better way to communicate her feelings. Petruchio may be showing her a better way to experience life ie taming her, but she is the one who decides to make the change. She holds power over herself, her family, and Petruchio.

wow...too wordy. I still have too much to say. What does it boil down to? My tweethis statement!

Plays like The Taming of the Shrew prove that despite the obvious preference for men Shakespeare gave women more power. (Thank you Kayleigh, I would never have reached this without you)

2 comments:

  1. I have a few thoughts about this

    1. What Shakespeare does is just like th bible!!! The men are the "main characters" but the women are the movers and the shakers. They move the plot along.

    2. I LOVE this post because you are literally narrating your thoughts as you process them. I think this is so much more valuable to you in the end cause you can come back later and incorporate things you maybe abandoned earlier in trying to refine your thesis because now they're written down. And it allows us to see how you think and try your pattern out for ourselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, this is a very helpful post, since we see your thinking process. It looks like writing the tweethis is actually getting you more focused. Any responses?

    ReplyDelete