Thursday, February 16, 2012

Recent Discoveries

I have been diligently searching for relevant media representations of what I want to look at for my paper. I found this article that was posted today that I absolutely love. We Are Things Among Things The author of this piece discusses how woman can become frustrated to hear themselves acquainted to household objects or being objectified by Petruchio. Ewan Fernie says that "we are things among things". Shakespeare wasn't trying to objectify women, but relate them to the world around. When Petruchio says that Kate is "my goods, my chattels; she is my house, my household-stuff, my field, my barn, my horse, my ox, my ass, my anything" he is not trying to says that is worthless like those things. He is making her as important and more important than anything in his life up until that moment. My favorite lines so far come when Bianca says "that, being mad herself she is madly mated ..." and Gremio replies "I warrant him, Petruchio is kated" because it shows that they are the influence on each other. As much as Petruchio tames Kate, Kate tames Petruchio. From this article I also learned that the "kated" is play on words for the word cated, which means household stuff. So not only can I infer that the meaning is a double entendre...it really is.

In accordance with The Taming of the Shrew, I have found a wonderful clip from the musical Kiss Me Kate. Kiss Me Kate is a play within a play, just like the Taming of the Shrew, in which a broken couple acts out the parts of Kate and Petruchio. They used to date but they broke it off because they couldn't stop hurting each other. This is their lamenting song. I like it because it brings out the tender side of the characters that doesn't get seen full on during the actual play. This is the reason they are in pain and act shrewish and mean.

Oh and did I forget to mention, I have personally met Brian Stokes Mitchell. He is one of the coolest guys I have ever met and so humble for being so well known.




After much searching through new databases for cool stuff on my topic, I have come up with two things, these two books that I want to find in the library.

Shakespeare and Women

No comments:

Post a Comment