Saturday, February 18, 2012

Annotated Bibliography

I have spent a couple hours now browsing through the Shakespeare section of the library. I must say it restored my excitement in my research paper. There is nothing like looking through volumes of text and absorbing the information inside. I brought home a couple books and found some great information in the Shakespearean Criticism resource books. I didn't know if the criticism I found in the Shakespearean Criticism fit the categories I was specifically supposed to fill for this so I left it out. Also I couldn't get this post to format correctly. I couldn't make the 2nd line hang or get anymore than the first annotation to double space. Does anyone have any helpful hints?
____________________

Dusinberre, Juliet. Shakespeare and the Nature of Women. 2nd ed. New York: St. Martin's, 1996. Print.

This book has sections on femininity vs masculinity and the correlation in Shakespeare. I have only briefly scanned the pages, but it looks promising. This book looks at a great variety of the female characters in Shakespeare. The comparison between the women and their male counterparts during the Renaissance will help me build a strong foundation for my arguement. I found this in my exploration of the Shakespeare section in the HBLL. 

Crocker, Holly A. (Holly Adryan). "Affective Resistance: Performing Passivity and Playing A-Part in The Taming of the Shrew." Shakespeare Quarterly 54.2 (2003): 142-59. Print.

Playing a-Part
This journal article is about the shew as a cultural part of different representations. It also highlights the difficulty in determining the relationship between Petruchio's taming and Katherina's behavior. It provides controversy to my idea that Katherina is tamed because she recognizes the need to change and not because she is conforming to a cultural ideal. I found this article while researching databases online.

Rackin, Phyllis. Shakespeare and Women. Oxford [England: Oxford UP, 2005. Print. 

This book looks at women from Shakespeare's plays in varying historical contexts. It starts in the Renaissance all the way to contemporary Western culture. This book will help me establish the distinction between contemporary interpretations and original interpretations. I found this from an old student that Dr. Gideon helped me find.

Dash, Irene G. Women's Worlds in Shakespeare's Plays. 2nd ed. Newark, DE: University of Delaware, 1997. Print.


This book looks at women's choices within the scope of his plays and analyzes them. This will help me look at the choices the character's make strictly within the scope of a play itself. I found this in the library shelves.
____________________________ My thesis: Shakespeare gives the women in his plays a more central part than what may at first be realized. They are more integral to the play than their scanty lines and short appearances seem to allow. Shakespeare is ahead of his time with his well rounded, witty, and intelligent women. He endows the females such as Katherina from The Taming of the Shrew with a greater and more influential role and the message of the play comes through her.
My

No comments:

Post a Comment