Friday, February 3, 2012

Oh So Graphic

I read the Graphic Classic illustrated by Penko Gelev- just so you know.

When I got it in the mail, I was super excited. It came earlier than expected so it took me by surprise, but the minute I opened it I started to read and look through the pages.

The thing I liked the most was having a page with all the character's faces and their names. That way as I am reading if I forget or a face doesn't look as familiar I can go back and double check to see who it is. The graphics are pretty neat as well. (Although I feel like all the characters look really old with all the shading Gelev did.)

It is pretty easy to follow the story line and the dialogue too. And since it's just a snippet of long speeches and conversations I feel like they did  a decent job of pulling the most important phrases out to illustrate their point. They also interpret underneath in modern english, so you can follow the story along that way if you want.

The only thing I didn't really like was missing all of Hamlet'speeches. I had come to really liking them when I was listening to it so I was disappointed that they really didn't keep any of it.Which I understand it's a comic, I've read many an Archie Comic in my day, so it makes sense that they can't keep everything. Reading it in this version kind of makes me want to make a little Shakespeare comic of my own. Pulling out the lines I find most important and giving summaries. Also drawing beautiful stick people would just make a great comic too.

1 comment:

  1. Having the characters listed out like that with pictures would be really helpful.

    Actually, making a comic of your own is a great idea. I think that as you were trying to visually recreate the action and mood of the play that you would be able to better understand those passages and perhaps help other readers as well.

    ReplyDelete