Monday, January 9, 2012

"We Split, We Split"

I find that when I want to deal with more difficult texts like Shakespeare, it helps to read the summary of the Act on a  site like Sparknotes, or Cliffnotes before I begin. That way I am aware of what I should be understanding from the text and I can more easily figure out the dialogue. It also helps to have a dictionary near by to help decipher the words or phrases I don't understand. Since I have already read the Tempest, I didn't look up any summaries, I just dove right into the text relying on my previous knowledge of what happens. I haven't read it in a long time though so we will see how much I actually remember.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. Sometimes it is so much better to have a background to use when approaching a text. This gives you a starting point that you can refer back to if need be. I think it makes for a more valuable reading.

    ReplyDelete