Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Shakespeare in Buffy?

So while watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I heard a surprising reference to Henry V. Buffy says, "You know that not everyone goes home alive, right?" followed by a somewhat awkward pause and then "Alright, let's go!" (go save the world from evil demons that is...) anyway Spike replies after that with, "well it was no Saint Crispin's Day speech, but it will do." I got so excited and my husband just thought I was weird.

Anyway I wanted to put out my research project ideas and see if anyone had any advice or suggestions for me. I want to research/write on class relations within Shakespeare. I think I want to focus specifically on good class relations because I feel it is one way that he gets both the royal and the peasants vote of approval. For example in Henry V there is the scene where Henry goes and takes a brief survey of the conditions and attitudes of the soldiers. I feel that is a way that Shakespeare tries to work on class relations.

If anyone has any suggestions for other great examples of class relations I would love to hear them.

3 comments:

  1. Your idea for your research project is a good one! I found it helpful to go to the Harold B. Lee Library website and chat with an assistant. I told them what my research paper was about and they led me to a few sections that they felt would be helpful in my search, specifically the Humanities portion on the library search. Drop them a chat/email/or stop by. :-) I hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, that's great advice! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. In A Midsummer Night's Dream there's some interesting class relations because the reason Egeus doesn't want his daughter, Hermia to marry Lysander and marry Demitrius has something to do with class distinctions if I remember correctly. And then there's Theseus who's a duke and really involved in this whole debate but is nice to everyone (good class relations). It'd be a good one to read and look for that kind of stuff. Most of that is in the first act. OH! and in the last act the low class actors perform for the high class married couples so there's a lot to look at there! AND if you wanna go really out there and count fairy kings and queens as a class... :)

    ReplyDelete