Friday, January 6, 2012

Love Does Not Bend with the Remover to Remove

I chose my two favorite sonnets from Shakespeare. Sonnet 18 and 116. They are both fantastic in my opinion for their insight into (what I like to call) true love. 


To start with they both deal with time. An important feature of love, because I feel like in society nowadays love is viewed as ethereal or passing. Shakespeare clearly doesn't agree.


"Love's not Time's fool, though rosy lips and cheeks

Within his bending sickle's compass come:

Love alters not with his brief hours and weeks,
But bears it out even to the edge of doom" (116)

"But thy eternal summer shall not fade, nor loose possession of that fair thou owest, nor shall death brag thou wanderest in his shade when in eternal lines to time though growest" (18)

Love does not pass or fall away but endures for a lifetime and more. It is very clear that Shakespeare hasn't been keeping up with the Kardashians lately because one of them got divorced after only a couple of months. The love he describes is so much richer and beautiful. I don't want it to simply be a thing of the past, but bring it forward and show people that it is possible today to still have that eternal love. (This feels a little more like a rant than I wanted it to, but I really do like these poems)

2 comments:

  1. Both of those sonnets are beautiful :) Thanks for sharing. I am, however, having a hard time reading the texts. I think it's the colors. Or it could be my computer being funky! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know what happened...computer error. I'll try and fix it.

    ReplyDelete